Sunday, August 14, 2011

My Grandmother Lived In A Closet

My grandmother lived in a closet. She came over one Mother’s Day and just never left. I told my mother this would happen, even though I was just joking.

We’re not really sure why she chose the closet. She doesn’t talk much, just a few gasps of surprise and an echoing “hellooooooo” whenever someone calls her name.

She chose my brother’s old room, which mom had redecorated into a storage space for all her many, many clothes. My grandmother just waltzed in there, walked into the closet, shut the door, and that was that.

It’s wasn’t that bad, really. When mother went to get dressed in the morning, all she had to do was knock a few times. Then, with a great stirring from within, my grandmother would hand her an outfit before going back inside.

She did pretty well, what with being a grandmother living inside of a closet. She lived off moth balls and whatever bugs she could catch. Some days, we would even leave her scraps.

I tell this story to my children now, and they will tell it to theirs as well. Even if it isn’t true.

No comments:

Post a Comment