Saturday, February 11, 2012

Head Trauma


I must have been babbling incoherently at the hospital, because when I asked the doctors how my husband was, the only response I got was confused looks.  To be fair, though, I was just in a serious wreck.  I don’t remember anything they said to me while I was in the hospital.  Everything was just a blur.
What I do remember is getting home.  My husband took extra good care of me since my leg was broken.  I didn’t want him working too hard, because he had a head injury.  I knew he did because nothing he said was coherent in the least.  He made gestures, though, that made his intentions clear.  Some of the best ones were a bowl and churning spoon for food, drinking motion to ask if I was thirsty, and a toilet flushing gesture to ask if I needed to use the bathroom.
As the weeks passed, he began to regain his coherence, and he was starting to understand what I was saying to him.  After about four months, everything was back to normal.  Well, almost.
Everything would have been well and good if that man had never spoken to me about my bedridden state.  He told me that he was worried after the first few weeks when I was still babbling incoherently.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither. She thought he was the one with the head trauma. She was wrong.

    ReplyDelete