Saturday, February 18, 2012

Epiphany of the Spheres


I just had an epiphany and it is the most beautiful thing I have ever come to understand.
I have always had trouble wrapping my mind around how big the universe could possibly be and how small we are.
Then I though about Carl Sagan's statement of how we are a "mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam" and I realized something while looking at dust floating in a ray of sun.
If you think about it, on one of those specks of dust, there are probably hundreds of smaller bits of microscopic dust that comprise the single mote.  On any given microdust bits, there are atoms that make it up, and on any given atom, there are electrons orbiting a nucleus.  We are an electron, orbiting a nucleus, on one of many microdust bits, and that one mote of dust is out galaxy.
Then I looked around, and I could only see so much dust.  All the dust I could see in that one room...that is as much of the galaxy as we can see. 
Now, if you think about it, there is dust in all the houses in the world, and all around us.  Each mote of dust is a galaxy, and all the dust on this planet is about the size of the universe.  We're just a single electron on a single molecule of one of those motes.

No comments:

Post a Comment