Sunday, September 12, 2010

It'll Be Okay

She told me that it would be okay, that she was just going out to get some groceries. After all, the storm had knocked out power for several days and most of our food was beginning to spoil anyway.

I remember the fight we had all too well, even though it was over a week ago. By now we should be laughing it up. But we’re not, because I’m still mad at her. I guess it could be said we’re not on speaking terms.

“You hate driving, and refuse to do it!” she said as she hoisted a soggy head of lettuce into the trash can.

“There’s bound to be debris everywhere,” I said, cautiously. Power was still out, so we were fighting by candlelight.

“You just don’t want to be alone in the dark,” she said bitterly.

She was right.

I hated the dark. Feared it ever since I was young. At the time, there was no power in the city, save the supermarket, which could be seen from down the street.

She was always right. I came to hate it. I wished I could be right for once.

“I’m leaving, and when I get back I hope you’re in one piece,” she said as she grabbed her keys and headed for the door.

“B…but,” I stammered.

“It’ll be okay. I’m only going down the street to get some food that won’t rot. I’ll be back,” she said with a faint smile.

I watched her pull out of the driveway and off into the distance, past a house.

I kept hearing her in my head.

“It’ll be okay.”

“I’ll be back.”

It was just my luck.

This time, she was wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, creepy :D

    A very short well writen novell their Cleric

    Keep up the great work

    You're fan

    PanRagon (Eragonandsafira

    ReplyDelete